Drawing sprockets?

Here are two examples of the sprockets generated:

As uploading Python scripts is prevented, I have created a PDF version that could be copied into a text editor and then to Fusion360 using: Tools/Add-Ins/Scripts and Add-ins/Create. VSCode should appear and allow the script to be pasted, saved and run.

I’m hoping someone will find the script useful, print a sprocket and report.
make_sprocket005.pdf (233.4 KB)
Updated: Link to github

Thanks

I’d be happy to try printing your model for you @rohal. Do you have an STL file?

@rohal, just as a feedback: I have tried to print Super-8 sprockets with my 200€ Anet A8 FDM printer. This printer simply does not have the resolution to print sprockets for such small dimensions.

However, I ordered this part here:

from Shapeways. This is printed by not by the FDM method but by the SLA method which features a much finer resolution, so it actually works.

Great. Thank you.

Can I upload an STL? Or email?

Yes I have seen that sprocket and it was my original inspiration to investigate sprockets.

Thanks for the feedback.

You can email me: matthewepler at gmail.com

Thanks; consider it done

@rohal here are the results. This was printed on a Prusa MK3 with PLA on a “draft” setting, meaning it isn’t the finest possible detail. The print took 1.5 hours.

In my humble opinion, it would seem like the sprockets might need to be less sloped. When I tried to fit a piece of film onto the roller, the sprockets were unable to come through all the way because they were too wide at the base.

Thank you Profile - matthewepler - Kinograph Forums

The result is quite good. I think the ‘wide’ teeth are a result of the printing process, where the transformation between the tooth profile and the roller body is not a tight angle, more of a fillet? Greater resolution might help here?

I would be curious to know the radius of the roller body.

I am not in a position, at the moment, to experiment with 3d printing, however the SLA method, mentioned above, might be worth looking into.

I also had the idea of assembling the sprocket from separate roller and teeth parts. The teeth base would be at a smaller radius than the roller, allowing the fillet transition to occur below the roller radius.
For example the teeth could be printed as:

Once again, thank you for the printing.

Just a heads up for any one using an SLA (resin) 3d printer if you sprokets do not fit the film it’s probobly because the printer is not 100% calibrated, i made my Sproket design and then made 4 seperat sproket wheels and lowerd size each one by 0.5% untill i had one that i could wrap film all the way around.

Should note the big wheel your trying to make would not fit in most SLA printers

Wow nice -never thought you could print super8 sprockets -Think these could be cnc cut using a 1mm end mill out of thin 1mm or .5mm aluminium sheet - then mount it in a printed or lathed ali hub.

4 Likes

that looks great! congrats.

What printer is that on -I want one

@MrCapri, said in this 8mm/super 8mm scanner thread that it’s an creality ld-002r. A very good printer, especially at this price point.

1 Like

I dont know if i can upload OBJ of the sprokets here but i would absolutly be willing to

Thanks, i’m realy happy whit how the sproket turned out

Looks great - ya can post em on thingiverse if want

super 8mm sproket by Admiral_lj - Thingiverse 8mm spoket (name on this is wrong sorry)

super 8mm sproket real one by Admiral_lj - Thingiverse super 8mm sproket

2 Likes

Just to add a update - I created a FreeCAD version of a parametric sprocket wheel where you just have to enter the number of teeth, and it updates the wheel.
You can find it here GitHub - simonbuehler/Super8SprocketWheel: FreeCAD project for creating parametric sprocket wheels compatible with Normal 8 and Super 8 film formats

happy printing!

2 Likes