New Retroscan - scans all formats!

6 retroscans … and why not 3 or 8 .
In any case, if you’re scanning at 7 fps, that’s a long way off. :slight_smile:
And how do you arrive at this figure of $150,000 without knowing the volume and the price of work available to the company? This example may work for you, but not for everyone in the world.

I’m not going to repeat myself indefinitely, but once again, it all depends on the volume of work you do and the price you charge for it.
If you scan 8000 or 10’ooo feet of film a day, as some people say on other forums, then you can easily invest in expensive machines.

You give examples of very high-end scanners operated by companies already well established in this market. This is not indicative of the scanner sales market.

But for the ENORMOUS majority of scanning companies, it’s very risky.
Professional scanners make the companies that sell them much richer than the people who operate them.

As it has a 5K Sony, the macimum HDR scanning speeds are 15fps for 16mm and 30fps for 8mm (limited to 2K). But for QC you may have to set the speed slower from time-to-time to get the very best work.

Not really, I have a mate who started with a Retroscan, then modified it - so basically that thing is now a $20,000 DIY scanner that produces full professional quality - and in under a year he comissioned a new full LaserGraphics ScanStation. The barrier to entry is low, but what happens is most small operators are lured by the cheap scanners.

Well 20 years ago the professional scanners all cost close to, or more than, $1,000,000, were very complicated to operate, were mechanically unreliable requiring regular servicing and the payment of service contracts costing $60,000+ per year.

Happy New Year to you too Perry.

We agree on far more than we disagree, can we please just leave it there? It’s a new year, I don’t have any problem with you: you do good work and you were one of the cohort of people who forced LaserGraphics to improve the ScanStation and without that it wouldn’t be the beast that it is today. That’s widely known and appreciated by others.

This idea though that something is “atypical” no longer applies. GRD may very well have been an “atypical” company to purchase a professional scanner in 2013 (may I don’t know - you can tell us if you like). But as you know archive work has increased greatly, not decreased, and I’d say a lot of post-production houses would have had to start taking archives and other clients they’re not used to working with more seriously as well as move in to restoration.

Anyway New Year, let’s get along please. You have my email address if you’re annoyed with me just email me please.

Welp, Roger Evans filed for Chapter 7 personal bankruptcy. Moviestuff will soon follow. There goes my $12K, just like that. Poof.

Not necessarily, this guy managed to get a refund through his bank just this week:

UPDATE!!! PLEASE READ & SHARE: My bank has refunded the total amount that I paid for my scanner. For those who are able to, contact your bank or credit card merchant, provide documentation of fraud or deceitful business practices, and file a claim to reverse the charges. This will be your best option to recover money since banks are solvent and insured to refund the money. If you are unable to, make sure you file a claim with the bankruptcy court of Western District of Texas BEFORE June 10 2024. This will allow you to carve out your money owed, otherwise it will be discharged and Moviestuff/Roger will not be obligated to pay. A meeting of creditors is scheduled via phone call on April 11 2024 at 2:00pm central time.

Here is the bankruptcy docs.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s2XpFBPF1wmC_OSxAEwp5LsPbnOzwh0I?usp=drive_link

1 Like

Brad Miller also uploaded them to Film-Tech: