Want to Build a Scanner but where to Start

For 8/Super 8 you can get the best results using an enlarger lens reversed mounted. Shop on ebay for Schneider Componon-S 50mm 2.8, and if you shop around you can get one in good condition under US$50. You can see the detailed results/specs at this website

I’ve also used the Nikkor EL 50mm f2.8, similar price point, but the Componon-S has better corner performance.
To use either usually a thread adapter and bellow or tube is required. The link is for a 52mm thread which is why I used, but it will be different depending on the adapter you use.

I feel so deflated, did all my research and thanks to the group I have picked the following Raspberry equipment, Pi 4 with 4Gb and a HQ camera. Sat down and started my search, alas none of the shops and suppliers have stock all waiting on backorder. I maybe able to secure the HQ camera with Pi 3B board, but not sure of the two items working together, can I get guidance here. The Pi 4 x 4GB board will only be in maybe in December, not worth waiting.

Follow on to the above post, I have located secondhand Raspberry Pi 4B, 2Gb and a 4Gb. The 2GB is half the price of the 4GB, which one should I chose. Is ram a issue ?

With 2 GB of RAM you should not have any problems.
256 MB of RAM must be reserved for the GPU to work with the HQ camera.
I use the HQ camera with Raspberry Pi 3 which has 1 GB of RAM and it works fine.

Manuel_Angel, thanks for the info, I have placed the order for the Raspberry HQ camera and have bought the secondhand Raspberry 4b board with 2Gb. Now I can get started on the build.

I am still waiting for some hardware to arrive and so I have started to setup my laptop that I have set aside for this project. The Arduino software is loaded, now when it comes to Python and DaVinci there are a few versions and in YouTube the presenter says that some of the later versions of Python will not drive certain equipment and suggest loading 3.6.7 version, I need guidance on the software, what versions to download or what software I should be using.

Hi @Lee,

To program in Python it is highly recommended to use the Anaconda distribution.

In addition to the Python interpreter, it includes a large number of additional modules that greatly facilitate programming.

If you plan to use a Raspberry Pi-based system, in principle it is not necessary to use Arduino.

Regards.

Thanks, I want to use the Arduino to control the stepper motor and use the Raspberry Pi to operate the camera section. Maybe once I start learning the python scrip, I can bring the two operations together.
I see you did not comment on the daVinci Resolve,

– let me comment. There are two version available. The free version “DaVinci Resolve” is basically identical to the “DaVinci Resolve Studio” version, with some functionality missing. The most important asset of the program, the color grading, is available in the free version.

If you are working with small format films, you might want to use the noise reduction facilities of the program. However, they are only usable if you buy the “Studio” version. The cost of the “Studio” version are moderate, and you might find a bundle of the “Studio” version with a small custom keyboard, called “Speed-Editor”. Both (“Studio” version and “Studio” version with “Speed-Editor” hardware) did cost the same, at least at the beginning of 2021. I do not know whether this bundle is still available.

The “Studio” version exists further in two different versions - one comes with an USB-dongle, the other one with a software license key. All versions can be downloaded from the Blackmagic web site, expect a download of about 2.5 GB. The current (Oct 2021) version is 17.3.

If you are not trained and experienced in any other video editing software, do not consider any other. DaVinci is highly advanced with respect to alternatives. However, expect something of a learning curve. You will need a fast machine, with the best graphics card you can afford and of course high speed disks.

1 Like

thanks for the “DaVinci Resolve” info, it is going to be a huge learning curve, first I need to get the system up and running. The “DaVinci Resolve” is there a version number or is it just “DaVinci Resolve”.

the current version is 17.3 - I would recommend to use this one. Download the free version first, named “DaVinci Resolve” and try it out on your system. This software uses heavily the graphics card for color grading and other effects and the CPU for decoding/encoding of footage. Depending on your machine and the resolution you are working with, the software might be boring slow on a weak system.

So it is a good idea to test with the free software version. Only if you are satisfied with the program, consider to upgrade to the paid version (“DaVinci Resolve Studio”).

Thanks, I now can get all the software in place, it’s a plan coming together.

Plan just fell apart again, DaVinci Resolve 17.3.1 is installed, went to download Python and there is a hosts of versions on the Anaconda, do I take the highest version ? or is there a version that is more tried and tested.

We see projects that use an Arduino to control the stepper, in some cases it is justified but for a project based on Raspberry Pi and its camera it is really useless.
It will only complicate things, the Pi can perfectly control the camera and the stepper simultaneously. This is what is done in Manuel’s project and mine.
For Python on the PI I prefer to install the current version under Raspian even if it is a bit older:
sudo apt install python3
and then manually the necessary packages
pip3 install numpy
pip3 install picamera

On the Windows PC you can take the 3.8 version and install the necessary packages
pip install matplotlib
pip install numpy
pip install opencv-python
pip install opencv-contrib-python
pip install PyQt5

We recommend the Thonny IDE
pip install thonnyapp

1 Like

Thanks for the information, will follow what you have suggested and go for the 3.8 version. I need to start learning the software and get some structure in place. I will also look at the available software where the Pi does all the work and then drop the Arduino.

“Schneider Conponar-c 50mm f2.8 Enlarging Lens” found on eBay - is this the same lens that is spoken about on this forum. I have received my Raspberry Pi HQ camera now need to source the lens. Do have a Minolta AF50/2.8 macro, but it’s a A-mount. Camera equipment is not my strong point so I need to ask questions in class.

Probably: no. As far as I know, the Componon-S is a six-element lens, the Componar-C has only four elements, is cheaper and not so good (to put it mildly). If you are really curious, check the website of the manufacturer, Schneider Kreuznach.

thanks for the guidance, I have sent Jose in Portugal an email to find out what it would cost to get an adapter plate for my Minolta lens. I will do more hunting, thanks again.

I just started to investigate the building of a super8 scanner just like you.
Bought a second hand Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S 50mm f2.8 enlarging lens for just €30 including shipping!
It is in top condition, even the original plastic housing was there.
Still waiting for a step-up/down ring to reverse the lens.
I’m aiming at 4K (not speed) and the results so far look very promising.
Impressed by the software Manuel Angel adapted I thought I give it a try.
With the priceless help of Manuel Angel it is running now on my iMac 27" (client) and Raspberry Pi 4 (server).
Anaconda is big help. OpenCV is known to be difficult for running on a Mac en Anaconda Navigator warned me about it and advised to go back to Phyton 3.7.11.
A Minolta adapter will probably cost you more than a second hand Componon-S and also probably less quality.

First question from where did you purchase the lens, I would like to contact them and the sell my Milolta on.