A 3d Printed 8mm scanner, can it be enlarged to 16mm

There is a 3d printed 8mm machine using Pi Camera. Wondering if the project could be scaled up to 16mm film. Thoughts? How to make a Raspberry Pi film scanner - Raspberry Pi
Here is a link to the files.8mm Film Scanner | Hackaday.io

Hi @robteed,

if you scale up this project to 16mm, your requirements with respect to mechanical precision will be somewhat less challenging than when working with Super-8 or so. Provided that you do not change the final output resolution. However, as 16 mm has a noticeably better image resolution than Super-8, you probably will increase the resolution of your output files - which will again raise the requirements with respect to alignment.

Generally speaking, the mechanical rigidity of plastic is rather limited and there is a reason why other projects you can find here in the forum do use aluminum extrusions and other, more sturdier means.

I myself did construct a Super-8 film scanner with mostly 3D-printed parts. It is possible, but more challenging than a film scanner utilizing metal components.

The film transport in the project linked above uses a 3D-printed sprocket wheel. I can tell you that it is not trivial to come up with something like that - the larger dimensions of the 16mm material will however make that challenge easier. In my scanner, I ended up using a sprocket wheel from an old Super-8 projector, dumping the idea of constructing and manufacturing this sprocket wheel via 3D-printing. I know from at least another project which succeeded in that task, however.

In any case, the positional precision of such a transport will not be sufficient to ensure a stable pictures. Like the project linked above, I ended up in employing image processing to stabilize the footage after the scan. Using an old projector for moving the film is easier and more precise. I decided against this because old projectors are not that gentle to the film material as I would have preferred.

Besides the mechanical challenges of a 3D-printed setup, you also will encounter some other design decisions you will have to make.

You can only achieve a reasonable scanning speed with the Raspberry Pi HQ camera when working with a reduced 2k resolution; the full 4k resolution gives you a maximum frame rate of 10 fps from the sensor. Your scanning speed will be even lower. A scanning resolution of 2k is kind of ok for Super-8 material, but less than what you would like to use with good 16 mm material.

Clearly, because the 16mm frame is larger than the Super-8 frame, your optical setup needs to be modified as well. You can find various discussions about that in this forum.

cpixip,
I understand the design challenges. I’m impressed with the overall simplicity of this design. It reminds me of my Wolverine scanner. I know lots of people convert projectors but it involves a lot of engineering and people use whatever machine they can find for their project. So they are mostly on their own in development. If we had a somewhat simple 3d printed scanner for 16mm I think it would be good. The Pi cameras get better as time goes on. I have an Arducam with auto focus that may work for my needs.