Film-Digital kits made in Germany

This company has an interesting approach. Spoiler alert, these are pricey, but thought it would be worth sharing for reference.

1 Like

Very interesting - it may partly be the compression but aside from the spatial resolution, I’m not blown away by the results of the scan. Depending on the camera used I can see either a mechanical shutter being a failure point or the sensor developing pixel issues from heat or “on” time. Even the results using a C300 were not that much better. The bring-your-own-camera option is interesting though.

Your alwayes going to supper by alowing the film to be played and recorded threw a projector compared to individual photos of each frame, but it’s a novel idea.

1 Like

Great find @PM490. They’ll run out of projectors eventually… A good option for someone with a lot of 16mm in really great shape, though.

1 Like

Analogue Resurgence, a great YouTube channel out of Canada which covers many scanner related topics, just produced a video on the Film-Digital kit from Germany. It is a really good primer on how the kit functions plus some practical advice on scanning options and the pros and cons of a tele-cine type setup.

@matthewepler I guess they haven’t run out of projectors yet since the company seems to be going on strong. However, you can supply your own projector if you have one of the recommended models (super 8: Bauer T183, T240, T280, T183, T192, T502, T525, or T610; Beaulieu 708 EL; Braun Visacustic 100, 1000 or 2000; or the Elmo G-series. 16mm: Bauer P8 Professional) - they provide all the other elements needed for you to modify the projector yourself. There is even a kit for €899 to use with a smartphone. That seems to me to be the simplest and cheapest route to 4K scans provided your smartphone has 4K capability.

1 Like