First post

Hi everyone, I’m going to introduce myself.
I’m a unreal engine developer and c++ programmer.
I want to develop my own 8mm film scanner. I already have some gear.

I still have to choose the light source and other gears.

Thank you very much.
Bye.

@paman welcome to the forum. There is much information in past postings, the forum search is your friend.

A couple of suggestions to consider.

1. I have worked with Arduino Uno (and other similar boards), now have switched to the Pico.
    If you are starting from zero, and with your background as programmer, Pico has a more powerful/faster cpu. If you like the Arduino SDK, and libraries, it is also possible to use the Pico with it as a stepping stone. Going 3.3V or 5V board, in Arduino you have both, and Pico is 3.3V. Other stop-motion builds also use Raspberry Pi to drive the gear. I prefer using a microcontroller to do the low level control.

2. There are two big categories in the DIY builds you find in the forum. Stop motion scanners, and continuous-motion. If you are considering switching cameras, first decide which approach you are taking. For continuous builds you need global shutter and a faster interface. With stop motion, scanning takes longer, but you can get away with a rolling shutter camera (stopping the film for the capture).

I make the comment because the camera you have is a global shutter camera (which can be used for continuous), and the gear has a stepper (which is typically stop-motion)… so not sure which way you are going to go, but keep in mind when selecting your next camera.

My first build was a Frankenstein (projector parts driven by a stepper and Arduino Uno and using a DSLR ). I’m now trying to build a stop-motion transport from the ground up, still in early work.

It is a lot of fun, so enjoy the ride and welcome.

3 Likes