Frame Capture Software

Hi,

I was trying to use a Nikon J1 camera with its electronic shutter for frame capture. The problem is the camera stores the frames on to a SD card and the number of the frames is limited by the capacity of the card, So once in every 1500 frames I have to empty the card and begin.

I searched for a suitable software and and found digicam control

It offers all what I needed.
i.e.
It does not need live view
It triggers the camera and stores the image on the computer hard drive and delete the capture from the camera chip. If required does show thw captured image.

The problem is it is slow. It takes about 6 seconds to store the image.
Is there a better way to do this. I only need to capture continuously from the camera.

Thank you.

Check out phase one capture one, not sure it’ll work with a J1, but it’s the industry standard for tethered shooting. Adobe lightroom might also be an option.

Thanks for the reply. Most of these programs work with only a few camera models. Unfortunately with mechanical shutter cameras, which are not suitable due to the short life span of the shutter.

I’m planing on using a Nikon D810, i’ll run it with mirror up and just fix the shutter when i need too. I couldn’t find an electronic shutter camera that met my requirements.

How about the Panasonic GH4 which has both mechanical and Electronic shutter modes to choose.

I wanted a full frame camera to get a roughly 1:1 reproduction. I’m not sure that’s necessary anymore though.

No you do not need a full frame camera. with a little extension tube you can capture the full frame.

Try libgphoto2 to control cameras. I know that Nikon 1 J series are mostly supported. It can capture and fetch at the same time. But a lot of the time, there is an unavoidable delay because fetching the photo means transferring it over the USB cable and that takes time, especially using the old USB2 speeds.

A better route might be to script it so that, say, 100 frames are captured and stored on the card. Then the capture pauses as it batch downloads them. This might overall be faster than saving as you capture.

Many camera control protocols do have a ‘live view’ option. But the live view is usually (a) just a thumbnail and (b) not subjected to the same ISO/color/etc. settings that the final photos are.

-Jonathon Duerig