My first project

Slowly getting there…being an idiot I didn’t think that everything needs to be on the same level :man_facepalming:. Going to have to print some spacers.

1 Like

Looking more like my vision now. Need some more parts though and to reprint some parts.

1 Like

I know this is nothing compared to other people’s projects, but I’m so pleased that I’ve got to a point where the hardware side is working. #smallVictories

Lots of tinkering and tightening still needed but at least it feels like something tangible is going to be generated from the box of bits I’ve had lying around for two years.

Now to get the other motor working, timing to move one frame at a time and the camera software.

First test of super 8 digital transfer machines

1 Like

Small victories is all we have to keep us going! This is great progress. You should be very proud. Can’t wait to see how it progresses. I’m liking the minimal use of expensive hardware and the expand-ability for larger reels. Keep it up!

1 Like

Excuse the improvised defuser but camera is now working. Aim is to get the camera and reel working this weekend. A little preview of what’s on my test reel. I wonder what the film is?

SOmething with Lilian Gish?

Just looked her up and it definitely looks like her.

Light box now in place. I didn’t think the led would be bright enough but seems to be doing an ok job.

I’ve got the frames moving so everything is in place just need to refine everything now. Getting there.

Playing with ffmpeg tonight to test stitching the photos together. Ignore the out of focus dark pictures etc I just took a few without the machine set up properly for testing. Only just realised I’ve been playing the film backwards :joy:

I think this might just work. I have all the pieces of the puzzle just need to dial it all in :+1:

Hi Pat, Just wanted to say thanks for the STL file it works a treat. I added a riser underneath but the teeth are perfect.

That is good to know. Not sure I ever printed it as I managed to get a metal one. Good to see your project is evolving !.

1 Like

Film was slipping…if in doubt add more rollers :joy:. I think I need to add some resistance to the first reel somehow. I saw someone add a motor with very light resistance. I’ll explore that idea.

The simplest way is to add a swinging arm with a roller that is gently pressed against the outside of the film reel using a spring. This can be attached to the existing reel support arm. One tension will probable suffice for small and larger reels.

1 Like

Thanks Pat

I’ll have a search of the forum to get an idea how to do it.

This is a bit crude but you get the idea. Spring/elastic between peg and hole in arm.

Thanks Pat that makes sense. I’m going to try and switch out the bearing for a stepper to see if that’s a quick fix. If not I’ll design and print this :+1:

So I decided that due to the length of the arms the precision was being impacted. KISS! Redesign (the beauty of it being modular) and adding a crude tension arm inspired by Pat’s design above. Seems much better now. Still some tweaking to do though.

1 Like