My first project

Hi All

My parents have a load of super 8 films and I want to convert them to digital. I discovered the super 8 raspberry scan project

on git hub but the instructions are a little vague,

I have the following

A raspberry pi 3
Raspberry pi touch screen
Pi camera
A macro lense
A couple of old film editing machines which I was planning to harvest rollers and arms off.

What I cannot find are any 3D printer plans. Does any one have these?

I’m aiming for a budget concept build. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe he used this guys roller… he had a reference to his project. Film Sprocket : Super8 format (20teeth) 001 (X9FHUQZRW) by projectobjects
He has a couple other parts too.

I think his film gate was from another reference project in the gut hub which does have 3D models File Finder · GitHub

I’ve been looking at that guys github let us know how it goes.

1 Like

Thanks B that’s really helpful. I will take a look and may have some questions.

I’ve got lots of bits I just need to try and put them together in the correct order :joy:

As I probably mentioned I’m aiming for a budget build. Playing with Lego, some tissue and a torch for the gate. First time I’ve seen what’s on a random test reel.

![image|657x500](upload://zFyQzXn7LLKFPS0UegIPQQNuF2f.jpeg

Trying to keep my train of thought in one place so it will help others not make the same mistakes. Bought the following as a macro lense (budget £3)

Hello,
Check out my previous posts, I took the lorry image without macro. But I use it only for 8 mm films. Pi camera V2. Have a nice day.

1 Like

I have obtained a free printer and harvested it for parts for my budget build.

Any idea what type of motors these are?

I suppose two of these are dc motors. I do not recognise the upper one. Check this: "“how to recognize ac and dc motors.” from google.

1 Like

Ok budget has gone out the window. I decided to buy a 3D printer :joy:. Now to find the files for all the parts.

Woo hoo! Let the fun begin. I’ve heard good things about that style of printer.

You can find the original v1 Kinograph parts using the Downloads link on the homepage (kinograph.cc). But let me know if any of those aren’t what you need and I’ll get you them in a different format.

As for the others…hopefully they’ve documented well. That makes me think I should write up some documentation recommendations for any builds so that we can all benefit. WIll add to my list of things to work on during the holidays!

Happy printing!

1 Like

Thanks. I thought I could do this on a budget but I think it’s going to be tough. It also turns out to be a lot tougher than I thought.

I’ve just downloaded the 3d printer files so I will see if I can open them in Cura. Some recommendations would be a great idea.

First part of the gate printed :+1:.

1 Like

Getting there slowly.

So two years on I’m digging this project out again :joy:. Let’s see how far I get this time.

Can’t wait to see it! Looks like you’re going with RPi camera…and are those stepper motors?. And did you 3D print the 80/20 extrusion?!

Hi Matt can’t believe it’s been 2 years since I started!

Yes they are 3D printed. STL here, I thought it would be easier to adjust/upgrade the system if the components could be slotted in.

I want to keep it simple so the idea was to just use a stepper to move the film one frame at a time and take a photo with the pi cam. No idea what I’m doing but have more knowledge from other projects now so hopefully I can at least get it running.

1 Like

Getting the stepper motors working this morning.

1 Like

3D printed a bracket for the stepper motor. Plus a sprocket. Teeth were too big for the super 8 film though :person_facepalming:

1 Like

I made this sprocket before I obtained a metal one. Worth printing to see if it works for you. Recessed to accept a bearing as well.

Sprocket wheel.stl (1.0 MB)

1 Like

Great thanks I’ll give it a go.