New camera options?

Hi all,

Please check out this as well: Camera Selector - find your cameras quick and easy!

Dear all,

I am following your project since the beginning and I really admire your work. Unfortunately I donĀ“t have the means to construct the Kinograph, but I am trying to use the transport mechanics of a Siemens 2000 projector. I have already programmed Arduino to control a Nema 23 stepper motor. I am now searching a decent camera, which can be controlled by Arduino. With ā€œcontrolledā€, I mean just sending a command to the camera to acquire a frame. I know this is feasible with the usual digital camera (for example by using the remote of the camera), but I would like to use an industrial camera instead (because I fear that the shutter of a digital camera can wear).

Do you have any suggestion for me?
If I have violated the rules of this forum with my question, which is not 100% correlated to the Kinograph project, please inform me and I will cancel the post.

Hi @Marco_Leoncino . Welcome to the Kinograph community. Members have posted about cameras in several different threads. If you search for camera or C-mount or other terms related to camera hardware you will find them. Here is the wiki page for the camera stuff I"m working with right now. It includes a link to a spreadsheet that compares a few different cameras available. Oh, and one other popular choice is the Raspberry Pi Camera v2. Of course for that youā€™d have to move your code over to the Raspberry Pi and use its GPIO pins like an Arduino.

I hope that helps.

Hi @Marco_Leoncino, welcome. I am donā€™t have specifics on cameras, but would share my experience with DSLRs. The downfall of the DSLR is what you mentioned about the shutter. Iā€™ve used a DSLR successfully and already far exceeded the manufacturers shutter by far. So depending on the amount of film that you need to digitize (in my case it was about 120 reels of 8/S8), that may be an option.
On a similar token, some digital cameras provide full hdmi output, and if 1080 is sufficient resolution, you can capture the HDMI live and not wear the shutter. I am not trying to convince you to use one, but if you already have one, it may do the trick.
I have a very similar setup with Arduino and a stepper, and if you are on Windows, you can also consider using DigicamControl. It has an Arduino plugin that allows you to send commands from the Arduino to the Windows computer to take the shot. What I like about it is if you decide to go with RAW, it will be stored directly in the computer. Similarly, in linux you can use entangle (no serial arduino plugin, but you can use the arduino as a keyboard and trigger the shot (hope this make sense).
This link to the description of the project with additional information.
I am overdue to document some of the changes, will try to clean up the docs. In the mean time, Iā€™ll share info and answer whatever questions you have regarding my setup. Welcome, and you come the right place.

Dear Matthew and Pablo,

thank you for you warm welcome! I also think that this is a very nice place to discuss about the task to digitize film at home.

I forgot to mention that I started this new project not because I have thousands of movies to digitize in my cellar, but because I use to film with a 16 mm camera and to develop by myself. The big bottleneck for me is the fact that, to digitize, I need to ship the reels to a scan service, wait time and pay the service very much (even if I recognize that it is right that a scan service is expensive: man power, expensive machines etcā€¦). Therefore I wish I could be able to do also this step at home!

I will read carefully your posts and link and I will try to make myself a better idea!

Thank you so much!

Marco

3 Likes