Hi all. Just starting a thread for the work I plan to do this week on Kinograph so we can all follow along. I have the whole week off and my only goal is to push Kinograph as far as I can with 6 full days of work. I’ll be posting daily updates here and will likely need your feedback and expertise as I go so please comment and share!
Where I’m at:
Tension hubs: I tried going with one tension hub on the feed side and it works, but would require some tweaking. I’ve decided to go back to using two tension hubs, one at each reel, since we know that works. We can optimize later if necessary, but right now there’s no pressing need to.
Once that’s up and working I want to get the hubs working together to make the film absolutely still. That will require some kind of feedback from the film path on the direction and speed of travel. I’m thinking a rotary encoder will work for this. I can salvage what I did with the capstan motor design to implement this on any of the 3D rollers I have along the film path. The perf sensor could give us speed of travel, but not direction, so I think a rotary encoder is better for this and it can also serve as a backup to the perf sensor in the case of damaged film.
With a rock steady film transport system, I can move on to the sensor. I’ll quickly test the few that I have laying around, and choose one to implement (all tests will be posted for your review).
The gate had a re-design recently but it has some flaws so I’ll need to CAD an update and print a new one for testing.
And, if we’re lucky, we can take a swing at lighting. But that’s optimistic, I think.
Wish me luck!