Sharing DIY 8mm / Super 8 project for feedback

Looking good! Loving that solid frame registration. Thanks for sharing!

Just like to post an update, since it has been a while.
I’ve finally got some time to complete some of the improvements on the DIY scanner. My goal has been to get the best image, and to go from great, to really great it has been a long journey.

Working with small film increases the challenge on precision, and it is not small task. Using the same lens, the same camera, and same gate, I’ve manage to squeeze a bit more of the 8 and Super 8 film.

The changes were new dual axle bellow, new integrating sphere lamp (previously it was a diffuser, better control of the stepper, and lots of minor adjustments to make the build a bit more smooth and stable. The picture below is a comparison of the same frame with the old setup on the left, and the new and current setup on the right. The increase on grain detail is remarkable, the picture is 24MP (6000x4000).

The focusing is a challenge, and the bellow is second hand so it has seen better days. The stability of focus is a problem, but still better than it was with the single axle.

Some of the difficulties come from the particulars of the reused gate. Not yet ready, but starting to do some research on building it without Frankensteining the gate.

2 Likes

PS. One change was to open the gate to have the full frame.

This picture is a good illustration that -at least for me- the 8mm DIY scanner is a journey.
From top to bottom:

1 Like