The Missing Link? -- Sound Capture with Hardware

Is there any development or update on this project? This was a fascinating read and the result demonstrated in those short clips are unbelievable!

All hope for Andreas.

Joining in a bit late, after slowly digging through the vast amount of info on this board.

@Andreas, I don’t know what a ZIM project is, and Google isn’t helping me. I’m also hoping to get a chance to use your software to digitize old family memory film reels. Will it be possible to release some software for free use, if making it open source is not an option?

/Chris

Andreas how are you doing? Any news for us? When will we see your program?

Hi everybody,

@dan74: I’m doing quite well.
What happened to the ZIM project is, that it never started because my job was not safe at that time.
Actually the whole project I was working on was abandoned in January or as they said “suspended” until 2021-23 (but no one really knows). So I am unemployed and looking for a new job now.^^
Maybe that will bring things clear, as there are several multimedia technology enterprises I have applied to.
I do not know how long it will take to release a functional software.
But I will release the matlab source code in its current state, as soon as I have translated all commentaries into English. Maybe that is what I should have done in the first place, year ago.

@ChrisCph: A ZIM project is an option where Germany financially supports projects of middle class enterprises and universities. Actually the project has to be innovative and profit-oriented.
But you can also made money with open source, and not every kind of open source has a strong copyleft.
I still try everything to make the final software open source, even if it is developed for an enterprise.
When it doesn’t work out for an enterprise, than I will made it in my free time.

@Andreas thank you for the update. Hopefully the Matlab code will help us all in getting something going :slight_smile:

On a whim went googling for optical hardware and re-read the description of Cintel’s sound unit. It’s so dreaammmmmy.

Anyone have one of these? Or know someone that does…and might want to get rid of that piece so I can tear into it and see what’s inside???

pic from the Cintel scanner site: Cintel | Blackmagic Design

Also, anyone have one of these beauties? Want to hear how you like it.

http://www.filmfabriek.nl/filmscanner/

New version of AEO-Light 2.3.2 - software for extracting optical sound.

2 Likes

So glad to hear they are still developing this.

There is an update - AEO-Light 2.3.3
https://usc-imi.github.io/aeo-light/
Made a request to the authors of the project to include support for JPG files.
When scanning in TIFF format, we get very large volumes.
https://github.com/usc-imi/aeo-light/issues
Please support me.

1 Like

Here is a ready-made solution - https://imagetosound.com/

1 Like

Wow that is really interesting @dan74. I wonder if they forked the AEO-Light code base and built on top of it.

I will definitely contact these folks when we get to soundtracks. Speaking of, I came across this company in some old notes of mine. I am going to give them a call today. Does anyone know what the limitations of these might be for Kinograph’s purposes?

Those are meant to be mounted to the soundhead in a film projector. The biggest obstacle to using it in the Kinograph would be the need to run the film past it at a precise and constant speed. The film in the projector also ran over a drum connected to a large flywheel to keep the speed perfectly constant.

Here’s and image of a similar unit in an actual projector. This is a Simplex XL.

matthewepler - Did you get the connection - imagetosound?

I’d love to learn more about this. Would you be available for a phone call some time?

@dan74 I am not quite at that stage yet. I’m focused on getting some contractors up and running on electrical stuff and getting a big announcement about the next phase of work out to the community. But I hope to soon!

Hi, We did not hear from you for a long period. Are there any good news for us regarding OSIRIS?
Thanks.

Andreas we are already old, when, when will we see? :0)

Hi, who will show the optimal settings for this scan? soft - AEO-Light-Win-1.1

scan for training 290mb - Images.rar — Yandex Disk

default so -

how to do it right?