Torque motors - affordable source/distributor?

When you say audio speed drive, you mean a system that would record sync sound at 24fps ?

So for scanning without audio should be good but will need some heavy tuning…

I have the oDrive motors installed in my setup , just waiting for the encoders to show up, prob Tuesday will have them.

Thanks for the info

Exactly or other speeds for mag audio seen on 8 & 16.

Great thx ! That’s encouraging :slight_smile: can’t wait to get started with them.

That makes sense. For a sound setup we’d likely have a different motor setup altogether. A capstan in the middle of the film path would effectively divide the work of tension to both reel motors. At least, if I have my thinking cap on straight. I see it as…

1 - no sound head: take-up in a loop with a sensor to control speed (fps), feed reel in torque mode to provide tension (or something like torque mode depending on who you talk to)

2 - with sound head: capstan (servo or similar) motor sets speed (fps), both feed and take-up reel in a loop with a sensor in “torque” mode to provide tension

If the above is true, a Kinograph should be capable of both modes and the user can toggle the mode according to the needs of their scan.

Does that sound right? It does to me but I’m never 100% sure until I try it. Which I plan to do soon!

Mini update - Finally got my scanner backplate and was able to install the Odrive controller and motors. It looks very promising! It’s keeping tension between the 2 reels, you can even stop one reel with your hand and the whole system responds in real time.

I’m still a big newb at this Odrive system but my goodness, film is going from one reel to another !

1 Like