Using AI motion interpolation software to achieve 24fps for 16fps or 18fps 8mm films

I thought you guys might be interested in my testing of using Dain-App to try to achieve blu-ray spec 24fps from 16 and 18fps telecine captures.

Its a free windows app (available for Linux too I think) that let you take any form of media like movies, stop-motion, anime, cartoons, sprites, etc and interpolate new frames, generating a bigger frame-rate from the original file. You’ll need an Nvidia card with CUDA to use it.

I wanted to try it as using Frame Blender or Optical Flow in Premiere never really gives good results.

Its in alpha/beta stages so its a bit buggy and could do with extra settings such as lossless output. But I have played around and seems to produce some good results. It does lose some sharpness and grain as the rebuilt frames seems to remove grain. If you look at each frame step by step you can see the grain comes and goes every 3 frames.

What I do is interpolate the video in Dain-App (after its been stabilised and colour corrected) to x4 if its an 18fps video, or x3 for 16fps.

16 fps > 48fps
18 fps > 72fps

Then scale that down to 24fps using AVIDemux (free win app) as the video is now divisible by 24, no more jitteriness!

PS. To change the actual framerate of the video, I used AVIDemux, set the filters “Change FPS 25 to 72fps” (Dain-App exports the video as 25fps, apparently this can be changed but its not important right now) and the next filter “Resample FPS to 24fps” after.

Have attached the original 18fps video and the new 24fps one. Its much smoother and doesn’t have the strobing that happens with the low 18fps.

Original 18fps video

Final 24fps video

Note: Videos are about 30MB each and are huffy avi format.

Let me know what you guys think.

1 Like

Hi,

Seems like a good idea. I’m still a long way from creating a movie in my 8mm adventures so far.

However, it does not appear there is a Linux version of Dain-App; which is a pity as the Linux based Nvidia Jetson Nano has a Cuda GPU and could also make a cool control system for a film scanner.

This is the Linux version of Dain. Not as easy to use as Windows as requires library installs etc.

Can’t seem to edit original post, so putting link to youtube copy in case can’t download the original avi files:

AI Dain-App Test Footage