Debayering Point Grey/FLIR

I want to start this topic-specific for debayering Point Grey/FLIR camera’s.

Exporting image file like BMP, TIFF,… doesn’t represent the truth bit depth of the image itself.
With this handy MB pixel calc: Megapixel Calculator can I calculate how much MB it will be when I want to export it on 16BIT.

In this example: Example: 4000x2750 I set the width on 4000 and length on 2750 pixels and together they are 11MP so the Calculate file size on “RAW/DNG 16 bits/pixel” reads 22MB.

So when I use FlyCapture2 set my setting on MODE 10 4000x2750, Pixel Format: YUV422 export under RAW the file size is 20,9 MB so this is almost spot on.

And when I export it under, let’s say BMP the file size is 31,4 MB and it doesn’t matter if I set the Pixel Format on RAW16, YUV422, YUV411 it’s always 31,4 MB and 8Bit.

So now I need to find a way to debayer the RAW files…

Example RAW File: 4000x2750 YUV411 - 15.7 MB
Example RAW File: 4000x2750 YUV422 - 20.9 MB

Camera I use: FL3-U3-88S2C-C

FLIR send me this .CPP file: RawToProcessed.cpp (6 KB)

This is really interesting to work on - I’ve been partial to the debayer methods that are built into the SpinView software so I haven’t gone much further with the raw files themselves. I did a quick test at the office in Resolve (version 12 so I’m a few years out of date!) and RedCineX-Pro (current) and couldn’t get them to interpret the Flir raw file at all, but ImageJ/Fiji was able to open it albeit without any particular control over the debayer settings.

Reviving this thread.

Testing my FLIR 24.6MP camera and captured some RAW files, can’t figure out how to open/process them.

What is the workflow for these RAW files?

You can try this program.