Introduce yourself

Hi all. Use this thread to introduce yourself to the group. Here are some simple questions that might help you write your intro:

• what brought you to Kinograph?
  • what are you most excited about?
  • what skills/knowledge can you offer others on the forum?

Thanks for joining!

-Matthew Epler

I’ll start!

I’m an amateur maker and archivist. My day job is software engineering, but that came as a late career change after a few others, including teaching film history, fabrication, and designing products and services for international non-profits.

I came to Kinograph because I was teaching in Jordan and found a bunch of abandoned films. Later, built a prototype Kinograph that could eventually be used to scan those films. I hope to return to Jordan in 2020 with version 2 of Kinograph to do just that.

I can offer my past experience as a projectionist, and my experience as a digital fabricator (laser cutting, 3D modeling and printing, electronics). I’m a generalist and interested in how things work, but I do not claim to be an expert in anything.

I’m excited about making the community around Kinograph inclusive and fun. If you have ideas on how to do that, I’d love to hear them!

Hi all,

I’m Gunther Weygers from Belgium (Brasschaat to be exact). And I have always an interest in movies in general, in how it’s made. I even made my own (first) Blu-ray with menus and a special feature for a local choir. I have some gear to work with like microphones and a field recorder, Canon 6D,…

But the interest of scanning film reels and restoring them came from year’s back but it was just in the back of my head because it’s too expensive to get a decent machine but around 2015/16 I came across Kinograph and since then I’m following the progress behind the corner but since the end of October I’m actively helping in this community with my findings!

So what I’m looking to do with my Kinograph V2 is helping local archives to keep the old film reels alive in a digital format. And restore old feature film’s that no one, even the big studios, has interested in. Even if it will take me months or years of work to finish.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi All,
I’m Jon Saunders from California. I’ve inherited a couple of large boxes of 16mm (no sound) film that was taken by my grandfather in the 20’s and 30’s. I didn’t want to go on the cheap for scanning but won’t pay for the super expensive scanning either :slight_smile: Plus, I love scanning still photos anyway. My original training is in applied physics but after a large time out of the workforce I’ve gone back and got training in CNC machining and 3D printing. I’m currently collecting materials for the build (80/20, etc.) and have tried both printing and machining rollers. I’ve found machining delrin for the unsprocketed rollers gave great results. 3D printing the sprocketed rollers is still pretty rough for me. I’ll try a vat-pho process next rather than FDM. Cost of the sensor is what I’m watching closely now. Good luck to us all! -Jon

1 Like

Hey Everybody,

Musician for 30 years or more, but worked early on in TV, videotape and T/F department for a number of years. A while ago I bought an old house which turned out to be a virtual museum of obsolete film tech from the 1950’s - 70’s. The previous owner ( a pioneer x rated / nudie film maker) had passed away without any close family, and as a result approx 800 cans of 35 mm film were still lying around the place gathering dust. What to do? Don’t have a ton of money to scan it all professionally, and don’t want to throw it out either without seeing what’s there, and possibly saving something unique and valuable. Obviously something like the Kinograph would be a tremendous tool towards preserving whatever is on these reels. Looking forward to further development of the technology and learning more.

1 Like