Machine Vision cameras/ Mirrorless DSLR for 4K

@johnarthurkelly @matthewepler

I was just snooping around at Flir’s website and what about the price difference on their Blackfly S camera’s? (All are from the USB3 range)

• 200S6C 20MP dB71.89 $729
  • 120S4C 12MP dB69.38 $575
  • 88S6C 8.9MP dB71.57 $1.879

I thought maybe in the future after testing with my current camera I could upgrade to a better one and thought maybe the 20MP version. But I cannot understand why the 8.9MP is so expensive, and even a faster fps version of the 8.9MP cost a whopping $2.619

I’m not sure myself, @Gunther_Weygers. It would be nice to know! Would you be willing to call them and ask and share your findings with us?

@matthewepler They replied:

This is due to the price differences in the sensors. The IMX183 in the BFS-U3-200S6C-C and the IMX226 in the BFS-U3-120S4C-CS are rolling shutter sensors while the IMX267 in the BFS-U3-88S6C-C is a global shutter sensor. Global shutter CMOS sensors are more costly but don’t suffer from the image distortion you see on rolling shutter sensors when looking at fast-moving objects:
Key differences between rolling shutter and frame (global) shutter. | Teledyne FLIR

So the price difference is about the shutter type! :wink:

How was your experience with this camera?

Thanks.

Hi there, sorry for the very long overdue reply. I have not yet used the camera but am hoping to get to that in the next couple of months. I will be posting a progress update this week with more details on where I am at. Bascially I’ve redone all of the motors and all of the electronics from scratch and now I’m back to where I had hoped to be months ago. Next up after this phase will be lighting and camera so it’s coming up soon.