The Missing Link? -- Sound Capture with Hardware

Udayarangi

Thanks. Really appreciate. So the difference in your sound is because of these changes. We have to learn how to get the best out of AEO, since that is the only option available.

Therefore, I asked how the settings would be correct ? To get the maximum sound quality

Dan, Where did you get that Project Settings dialogue box? I am using version 2.3.3 and could not find it.
Thanks.

I pointed - AEO-Light-Win-1.1

That’s it. Shall we start using some common file to extract the sound and share our settings? All who are interested can join. For this purpose may I suggest something like this from the official site.

http://people.math.sc.edu/mirc/NEH183_VariableAreaDuplex_Pos.zip

Thanks.

1 Like

Andreas, how are you? No news for a long time!
What about the program when we see it?

Is Andreas lost forever?

Gotta disagree on this one.

I’ve used AEO Light with my RetroScan Universal Mark I, and it works great. The Mark I scans 2K at 16:9. The trick is to adjust the video quality of the film so that the software can read the soundtrack clearly. In other words, you can adjust the brightness, contrast, etc., of the picture so that the software can read the optical track better. This is true for the optical density as well as variable density.

AEO Light has great tools built in that let you sample short sections of your audio track so that you can make adjustments before you commit to a long render.

It’s incredible that this app really does work and even more incredible that it is free. (Its development was funded by a National Endowment for the Arts.)

1 Like

Todd, do you know off-hand if AEO Light is capable of taking advantage of GPU power to do its work? I can check it out if you don’t know. I’m nearing the point where I need to build a PC for the scanning on Kinograph v2 and this would sway me towards something beefier to speed up processing speeds.

Matthew,

It is unclear to me how AEO Light processes. The web site does not elaborate on how it does its work.

However, you can email the project manager gregw@mailbox.sc.edu and ask him directly. I have emailed him before, and he responded. Good luck!

1 Like

Seems to me that using a PC for processing is more advantageous than loading it on the GPU. I always assumed the Kinograph would be connected to a fast computer with a capable CPU and lots of RAM.

I consulted a friend of mine who knows more about these things than I do and he confirmed that what I really need is a PC with a fast bus speed and good CPU speed for the scanning. If the post-processing can take advantage of GPU acceleration, then it becomes an added bonus, but is not the focus of the PC build. It will likely take some trial and error but in the end the goal remains the same: “good enough” quality, “good enough” speed.

my scan setup and result

2 Likes

Nice. Sound you are getting from AEO (I assume) is excellent. What is the camera you are using and the resolution of the capture? Thanks.

Resolution: 2592x1944

with the lens I use two rings 5mm wide.

If I could get this kind of results from my scans I would be over the moon. Nicely done.

Thanks. I am familiar with the Russian projector you are using. What is the motor you used to drive the projector.

Gear motor from car doors.
Power supply 7-8 volts, with a nominal value of 12 volts. Plus a resistor in the power circuit. Adjust the speed of the gearbox.

Wow. Thanks. I also used parts from a projector to build my scanner. I have used an AC Motor (30 RPM) I get down from Ebay.